Aug 29, 2012

Good to the last drop

We usually say that about coffee, but here I actually mean that about resin. Not the UV resin you’ve heard me talk about so many times before, but the Little-Windows.com resin. Yes, it’s definitely my new love! It’s a 2:1 ratio resin rather than a 1:1 ratio that most other resins use for combination of Resin and Hardener. I find I just can’t go wrong with this one. I posted a little about it back in April. I’ve tried 1:1 ratio resins but sometimes ended up with beautiful but unusable tacky pieces which I sadly had to toss. And UV resin, while it has great uses, the annoying thing is that you can’t mix opaque stuff into it. And for the LW resin, I don’t have to wait for the sun to shine (here in the North, haha), or plug in my Aluminum foil lined Lunar Excursion Module (LEM) UV oven. Blablabla…ok here is a little idea with a bit more blablabla attached, lol. Notice the teardrop ends of the beads? I’m entering these in the 52 earrings a year which I have fallen behind in. I’m planning on catching up!

3-DSC00327

I normally use these cute silver little headpins with the round ball ends or the plain flat hammered end ones which I have so many of. Then this idea hit me…why not make some!!

When done working with a batch of resin, as instructed you can wipe the cup with a paper towel to then being able to reuse the cup. But now I make use of those last few drops before wiping it. Well,in case you’re wondering how I then cure them…here they are…

3-DSC003572-DSC003581-DSC00359

I just used Scotch Tape and taped the pins onto the shelf above my head. They’re not drippy at all, but you could place a sheet of printer paper underneath just in case you have your coffee there or whatever, lol.

Mine are black because I used Fran’s magical black powder that is used with her Dichro tutorial (the video of which you can watch in my April link above). You could also use glitter or colorful embossing powders.

Stay tuned for asap…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well isn't that brilliant!!! Thanks for posting and seriously great idea!! Way to go smart lady!!!
Kam

Toltec Jewels for Jewel School Friends said...

Ingenious idea, Tina! Your earrings look great with the cool black headpins -- they remind me of the "Jelly Pins" I fell in love with, only better. Now I can make them, and use all the resin up. Again, brilliant!! Thanks for sharing the resin info too. I have my UV light, and my transfers, but have not made any resin items yet. Now I will!!! Thanks, Tina

Saraccino said...

What a great idea! I didn't start using resin up until now but it is on my to-do list... I already bought the resin but just didn't find the time really to start with. But as I am using metal pins with little balls all the time for my earrings, I'll have to keep your method in mind! :) And I really hate to waste material :)

Michelle Gray said...

Awesome idea. Almost no waste! Thanks for sharing.

Divya N said...

doesnt resin have to be thick to hold up, I usually use ice resin and I find it too runny for wire; can we just wait till it becomes thick in the end and use it up

Beadcomber said...

Divya, this resin is thicker than some, but just like any resin, small drops shouldn't 'fall' off the pin. If the drop is too large it will. You could make larger drops gradually by using left over resin on headpins with dry drops from the previous run.

Unknown said...

Brilliant idea! I am so trying this next time I work with resin. Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...