Feb 24, 2011

Polymer Clay Colour Play Tutorial

With so many fashion colours this season I decided to play a bit with colour and made some recipes for the popular Pantone Spring 2011 Fashion Colours. Here is a chart of these 10 popular colours and my interpretation.



While these colours vary from monitor to monitor they are probably not quite accurate because when you tilt your computer screen the colour changes as well. Also my photography lighting makes a difference also as my silver in the photo looks slightly more blue than it really is.
Here is a link for a cool Pantone Color Table Matching System
and the link for the Pantone Spring Fashion Report for Spring 2011. It's a pdf file.
Paint chips would have been much better and easier to translate, but they don't come cheap. Perhaps a visit to the nearest Home Depot is in order. If you like my colours tho, I posted the recipes (using Premo) below.

Honeysuckle:
Violet 1 part
Fuschia 3
White 5
Translucent 3
Pearl 4


Coral Rose:
Orange 3
Raw Sienna 1/4
Ecru 1/4
Alazarin 1/8



Peapod:
Seagreen 3
Turquoise 3
Cobalt 1
Pearl 3
Translucent 1
White 1

Beeswax:
Ecru 2
Orange 1
Pearl 1
White 1
Translucent 1

Silver Peony:
Honeysuckle Pink mix from above, 1
Pearl 7
White 3
Translucent 1
Violet 1/4
Cobalt 1/8

Russet:
Raw Umber 1
Raw Sienna 1
Ecru 2
Alazarin 1
White 1
Ultramarine 2

Regatta:
Cobalt Hue 4
Turquoise 4
Pearl 6
Translucent 2
Ultramarine 1
White 1

Blue Curacao:
Cobalt 2
Turquoise 4
Pearl 6
Translucent 1
White 1

Lavender:
Violet 2
Cobalt 2
Pearl 7
White 2
Translucent 3


Silver Cloud:
Silver 3
Pearl 17
Lavender (from above) 1/4
Translucent 2
cobalt 2
Fuschia 1-1/4
White 4

If you find an improvement on the colours, leave a comment as many of us are curious! :) Enjoy!




14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for sharing your recipes Tina! I know you put a lot of work into getting the colors from clay. Hats off to you! Great job!
Thanks a million! :)
Melanie

Lupe Meter said...

Oooh...thanks, Tina. I was just looking at them (bout an hour ago)trying to figure how I was going to try and mix colors. You saved me some time! I am anxious to try out the colors. 8D

Beadcomber said...

thanks! took me a day ;) well, they may not be totally accurate, but close. I figure that if I put something together with them (as in jewelry), that I'll be combining beads etc with other colours anyway and that close will be close enough then.

Bonnie Kreger at B-LEE KREATIONS said...

Tina, as my friend Lupe said, thank you. You have saved a ton of time. I keep looking at the Honeysuckle and thinking how pretty that is but how much mixing would I need to do.

Girl, you are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tina!! :)
~Lisa

Mª Reyes said...

Muchas gracias por el excelente tutorial, tmo nota y haré las mezclas. Besos

Marlene Brady said...

Miss Tina, you have been busy! How great are you? Thank you, thank you. The recipes are great, the links are great, the post itself is a little work of art. I am happy you are out there! -Marlene

Norma's Bag Boutique said...

Thanks a lot for sharing the recipes. I'll used them.

Beadcomber said...

You're welcome!! :)

Vanessa said...

Hi Tina! I mixed up some honeysuckle tonight and its a beautiful colour! Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this :)

Anonymous said...

These look really good, I'm going to have to try them

Melobeau said...

Tina, Thanks so much for sharing your labor of love!
There are sure some mighty pretty colors there to play with.

Anonymous said...

Tina, this is really a great spot! I am new to making polymer clay beads and have been looking around my home and purchasing clay, cutters, etc. I found your site. Thanks for being here.

Louise T said...

This is great Tina, thank you so very much for sharing your color mixing formulas with us.
This will be a great help to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...