Jun 26, 2012

Texture and micro urchins

I love the bumpy texture and patterns of sea urchins. I’ve been creating molds, beads and cabochons using urchins for some time and was able to create some pretty small ones, but nothing like these. My daughter found these while snorkelling. Aren’t they adorable?? One of them is smaller than a penny!

07-DSC00158

I didn’t use the smallest one to make a mold as they are extremely fragile. I strengthened the slightly larger ones before using them. I then created these pendants. I’ll be creating more of these pendants as well as beads and cabochons to list in my shops. Aren’t they cute? I love the bumpy texture.

01-DSC00164

About texture, I also created this one with my Hibiscus silkscreen

12-DSC00151

…and the ‘New Crackle’. Hard to imagine, but both the pink and the blue lines are polymer clay…I wasn’t too sure initially  but do like the contrast of pink, purple and blue.

05-DSC00160

9 comments:

FloRaeMe said...

Wonderful work Beachcomber. Those sea urchins are very delicate so I'm very impressed that you made molds from these. Love the new crackle piece.

Charline & Tyra said...

Any chance you'll be selling molds of the little urchins? They're adorable.

Lupe Meter said...

Love these creations, Tina!! The colors you used for the crackle one are gorgeous!! Love it!

Vanessa said...

Oh I love the mini urchins! I think you have given me an idea :) The crackle is so fine well done.

Beadcomber said...

Thanks :)
I'm not sure yet about selling them. Usually I need to use them as something new for my own creations and then later on I'll pass them on. The thing is that I would need to make urchins from the molds and then create molds from those which makes them loose detail. I can't risk using my daughters teeny urchins to make duplicate castings, I'd break them for sure.

Claire Maunsell said...

Absolutely lovely, Tina!

Donna G said...

Love those little baby urchins. Living on the coast I often find them washed up, but not this type, this tiny. Crackle is very nice.

Toltec Jewels for Jewel School Friends said...

The baby urchins your daughter found are adorable! Glad your new urchin pendants are coming soon to your shops.

The Hibiscus pendant with crackle texture is GORGEOUS!! It makes me so happy ;) lol... I didn't imagine the lines of the crackle are clay -- wow, that's one very cool technique you've created, Tina. The tropical colors are perfect, like sky and ocean and sunset/ sunrise. And the crackle texture brings out the detail of the Hibiscus flowers really well.

Barbara Lewis paints with fire; Tina Holden paints with clay! Beautiful. Thank you for creating beauty ....

Saraccino said...

They are beautiful! I used some sea urchins we found snorkeling in the mediterranean sea. I used the tiniest one just because I found the bigger ones too big being used for jewelery. To make the mold I used two parts silicone which is fluid before curing so I was able to cover the sea urchin very carefully. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...