Apr 14, 2012

Toy of the Week: Viva Decor Inka Gold

I’m adding a new feature to my blog, showing you some of the products I purchase that are useful and a great addition for your polymer clay addiction. I might even show you some products that might be better suited for other crafts.  The ‘Toy of the Week’ will be a glimpse into what you might see when you have the product in front of you.
I’ve been wanting to try more products from Viva Decor and I still plan on writing about them, but the first one on the list is Viva Decor Inka Gold. It’s a combination of metallic paint and waxy rub-on, however, it is water-based, so if it dries out it can be rehydrated with a bit of water. One can’t do that with petroleum paints and waxes. Like Viva Decor Pardo Clay, the Inka Gold main ingredient is beeswax. It is non-toxic, safe and easy to use. Besides polymer clay it can be used on wood, paper, plaster, ceramics and much more. It comes in 18 brilliant and inter-mixable colors.
The sampler kit includes 18 of the colors. The little pots hold 12.5g, but you can buy bigger jars of 50 and even 100grams. The sampler is a great economical start if you want to try all the colors.
DSC07241
DSC07242
These little pots, some of them have black lids and some have silver lids. The ones with black lids have inner lids with a sticky tab, that when removed might be better suited for mineral make-up. A couple of my pots had a messed up sticky tab with dried paint caked on them. The pot on the right has a different inner lid. Anyway, I removed all the inner lids and put them inside plastic baggies. This was a messy job and had to wash and wipe my fingers after removing every one of them. Why not just toss the lids? because frugal me will probably use the paint that is still on them.
DSC07244
Apparently my dry paint pots (and they are really flaky dry!) I’m supposed to simply rehydrate it with some water. I poked holes into the paint and added a few drops. By tomorrow it is supposed to be creamy again. The caution is not to add too much water on the surface or the paint could become mouldy as there are no preservatives. I’ll let you know how it turns out… and I’ll show you a little bit about how it will look on your clay…This was just the teaser, lol.
DSC07243…stay tuned…
 In the US you can find Viva Decor products at this wonderful Site, Polyclayplay

Viva Decor
The site says they have 20 colors, but that is a misprint.

7 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

Oh I like that lava green.

Helen Breil said...

Tina I've been using the Inka-Golds for awhile now - I love them! Great for textures!

Beadcomber said...

Ditto Roberta :)
Yes, Helen, I love metallics and anything sparkly catches my eye, lol. I want to try the other metallic waxes as well, but these seem so nice, bold, rich and bright! I love Viva!!
T

Roberta Warshaw said...

Where do you find this? I went to their web site but you can't buy direct.

Claire Maunsell said...

I am addicted to these rubs/paints and use them for so many things. They are more permanent if baked on with the initial curing of your clay and as Helen said earlier - unbelievable for texture!

Beadcomber said...

yes, I'm applying it to raw clay...love the bold shimmery colors, yum

Unknown said...

I have not found these as easy to use as Lumiere. They were never creamy! It is much easier to use Gilders Paste or Lumiere or even Pearl ex. And the colors are very garish! The only way I have found to control them is to apply them like paint with a brush. They slide all over clay surfaces and there is nothing natural about the colors. The other problem is that most vendors will not let you return them if you don't like them. There are such beautiful heavy body acrylic golds and shiny colors where you have much more control and you get far more product that I would not waste my time on Inca Gold.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...