Sep 19, 2008

Rubber stamp for Polymer Clay

I got to play very little with polymer clay today because of other distractions, but managed to make a rubber stamp and test it. It felt a little intimidating at first because those bright yellow gel packets are a bit messy after doing the exposure....sorry no pics of that because even with gloves on things got a bit sticky and was touching as little around me as possible. Work was done at the sink. But after all was cleaned up and made the final exposure I ended up with an almost clear stamp or stamps because I made two 'hands' on one packet and then cut them out individually.

The nice thing about the kit is that you're provided with an acrylic mount that can be used for all the stamps you created because they stick to the acrylic without glue or tape. You can arrange the two stamps I made any which way, I could have mounted them with fingers pointing at each other, lol. If you make several small stamps you could mount them simultaneously to make a pattern in itself.When done stamping, the stamp can be cleaned, peeled off the acrylic and stored in a ziplock. They should be stored out of sunlight and not be used with solvent type inks. The stamps can be made with high or low relief, depending on exposure time...mine turned out nice and deep which one would want for polymer clay.


Here is the stamped image on ecru mix premo polymer clay with embossing powder inclusion. I find it troublesome that all of my pastamachines have the same 'ripple effect' when running clay through at the larger settings, so I use an acrylic handroller to smooth them. I don't know if anyone else has this dilemna with their machines? The ink is a pigment ink and has to be heated to set.

Finished polymer clay discs....maybe for some earrings....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those turned out real cool Tina! I've seen those kits before and always wondered how they worked... How wonderful to be able to make your own designs!

Anonymous said...

These stamps look amazing. Are they deep enough to make a significant impression on the clay? Are you going to do custom orders?

liz in victoria

Beadcomber said...

Thanks Cindy and Liz
Yes, the stamps can be made with either high or low relief depending on exposure times. And yes, I will be doing custom orders too. Have a design in mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...